VR Glasses Guide
By Safaa Magdy and Translation by Dina Amir
Have you ever watched a movie and felt like you wanted to jump into the screen to be a part of it? Or seen a marvelous picture of the Maldives beaches or that of the grand Eiffel tour in Paris and wished to go there right away? This is not a mere dream anymore, with technology introducing virtual reality (VR) glasses to the world. But what are VR glasses? What are their different types and brands?
*Prices listed in the article are the ones provided when the article was published, and they are subject to change according to supply demand of the market.
What is Virtual Reality?
At some point, we have all wanted to escape reality, living another life, be it during watching a video or movie, looking at a picture, or even paying a game. and control everything around us.
The simple definition of “Virtual Reality” is that it is a 3D environment created by the computer, enabling the user to react with it and discover it. This is achieved through VR glasses, which transport you to another place and time. And because Yaoota wants you to always stay updated with what is new and exciting, we will tell you all about VR glasses, sold through yaoota.com. Welcome to a whole new world!
What are VR Glasses?
They are glasses that are sometimes connected to headphones and other times it is not a necessity, and in the future there will be VR glasses with touch sensors. Those glasses are connected to a device, whether a mobile phone, a computer, or a play box like Playstation. Looking into the glasses, you become part of the program, movie, or game running on your device.
There are kinds of VR glasses that cover your eyes and head completely, and the moment you take it off, you get back to our real reality. Virtual reality and its applications, like these glasses, will have a great impact on our life in the next few years.
The expected uses for the Virtual Reality glasses:
- Entertainment: Those glasses will change our ways of entertainment. For example, after invention of the VR glasses, watching movies will not just be going to a 3D cinema. From now on you can watch a movie, get into it, and feel the movements and the sound just like the hero of the movie. And the same goes for games.
- Graphics and architecture designing: Instead of drawing your design on paper or even on a computer program and trying to picture how it will look like, you will now be able to actually see it embodied using VR glasses. It would make the work of designers easy, and would reduce the percentage of error because virtual reality will give you the capacity and capability to imagine, innovate and experience.
- Education: Instead of exhausting the geography and social studies teacher in explaining the map of Africa or Europe or talking about the Savanna grassland, the VR glasses would take students various places around the world. You will be able to see the Egypt-Sudan border and the Niagara Falls while sitting in class!VR glasses will also be very helpful for medical and surgical students, who would be able to see surgeries and understand the details significantly. These are definitely not the only applications of the VR glasses in the field of education, but are some examples.
- Tourism: From now on you will not need a visa to visit the United States or India, for once you put on the VR glasses, you will be able to travel the whole world while you are still on your couch.
- Shopping: We are expecting that shopping will be completely different because of these glasses. For example, if you are looking for a product on Yaoota, you will not just see a picture on a screen but you will also be able to see it for yourself through the VR glasses. A new technology that will enable you to try on clothes and choose the right size is also being developed.
You may also like: How to buy a smart watch?
The Latest Versions of VR Glasses, offered for 360 EGP.
Google Cardboard VR Glasses
- These glasses were released by Google. Although very simple and made of cardboard, but it is a VR headset indeed.
- One of the pros of the Google cardboard VR glasses is that you can connect them to any kind of smart phone.
- One of the cons of the Google cardboard VR glasses is that they do not have earphones and you will need to connect your earphones to the mobile when using the VR headset to enjoy the full experience.
- Although the Google cardboard VR glasses are light and easy to ease to use, they are not practical for you need to hold them as long as they are in use.
- This kind of headset is primitive and does not provide an interaction between you and the virtual world. It is considered more convenient for 360- degree pictures and videos.
Check out the Google cardboard VR glasses here. Its price starts at 49 EGP.
Samsung Gear VR
- At the end of 2015, Samsung released a VR headset and suggested using it with the latest smart phones. This headset caused a stir for the idea of a virtual world and a virtual headset for the first time.
- The Samsung Gear VR is considered the most popular headset in its range and its price is very convenient for its features.
- The headset is called Gear VR and not VR glasses. The reason behind this is that it is not just the glasses, but it is also a device that you put on your head, blasting sounds and pictures.
- This kind of VR headset is wireless just like the Google cardboard VR glasses and it also works with mobile phones.
- One of its cons is that it is exclusive for some Samsung mobile phones like Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6.
- Another one of its cons is that the vision is not clear, or pixelated, as if you are looking at the screen of your phone through a magnifying glass.
- One of its powerful pros is the easy control and use through the controls at the sides of the glasses: zoom, focus and switching between the options. This feature is not available in similar headsets like Zeiss VR One, Homido and LG 360 VR.
- Of the other features is that Samsung has provided a special store for the applications of the headset, which offers you much more options and fun games.
Check out the Samsung Gear VR here. Its price starts at 1199 EGP.
Zeiss VR One Plus
- This headset looks good, which is rare among VR glasses.
- The glasses are easy to use.
- The glasses work with Android and iOS mobile phones which screens are 4.7 to 5.5 inches.
- The headset can be controlled through a Bluetooth remote control or a Bluetooth mouse.
- You can use the headset if you wear medical glasses without taking them off.
Virtual reality glasses are somehow new in the Egyptian market and that is why the available ones are limited, whether through Yaoota or in Egypt.
- This kind is more expensive and more complicated than the previous ones.
- The Oculus device covers your head because it is not just about seeing, but it also allows you to move inside that virtual world and feel what is going on around you.
- And because they are more complicated glasses, you will need a computer of high speed and efficiency, and large capacity or high-end devices. This kind of glasses do not work with mobile phones.
- Up till now you cannot feel the texture of the things around you in the virtual world through this headset, but soon there will be a release of sensors that will enable you to touch and feel what is around you.
- This kind of glasses is connected to the computer or the play box through wires and that is why your move will be limited.
- The graphics and pictures are of high quality.
You may also like: High-end mobile phones of 2015.
- This one is considered to be the most expensive and the most advanced kind of VR glasses.
- Through the HTC Vive you will be able to touch and feel the things around you in the virtual world and have it walk around you too.
- This kind requires a computer or an advanced play box like the Valve’s mammoth gaming ecosystem.
- These glasses are considered the best in its range and it allows you to move for almost 20 square meters. You need a good space to enjoy the full experience.
- Microsoft wanted its share in the virtual reality world, and that is why it released its VR reality glasses under the name of HoloLens.
- When you put on the glasses, they will not take you to another world like the other glasses. Instead, you will be able to see both worlds at the same time.
- The way the glasses work depends on the Hologram technology. When you put on the glasses, you will see for example the Big Ben clock of London in a hologram shape (light beams), but instead of seeing it in London you will see it in your room with real surroundings.
- Its powerful feature is that you will not need any connections to your mobile phone or to your computer. It has its own software in the screen. Windows 10.
Freefly VR Headset
- It runs the same apps of the Google cardboard VR glasses.
- It works with any smart phones of screen size 4.7 to 6.1 inches.
- It comes with a special controller named Glide. It looks like a small remote control but it only works with Android phones.
- Although the headset looks somehow weird, it is very easy and comfortable to use.
LG 360 VR Headset
- Here is another headset that looks nice and decent and is also thinner than the other ones.
- It works only with the LG G5 through a USB c-cable which makes it limited to LG users.
- The quality of the picture is almost 960 × 720 pixels.
- You can control the focus of the lens.
- You can connect your earphones to the headset so that you enjoy the full experience. And even if you did not plug in your earphones, you will hear the sounds through your phone.
Also read: The best mobiles from MWC 2016.
- The PlayStation VR headsets work only with PlayStation devices. The do not work with computers.
- The image quality is less than that of the HTC and Oculus glasses.
- It looks somehow weird. It consists of a helmet that you wear on your head and attach to the glasses.
- The glasses sense your moves and show you the virtual world according to your moves, which makes your experience with games a fun one.
- The glasses are to be released on October 13 this year.
You may also like: PS4 vs. Xbox.
Virtual world is considered a relatively new field that is interesting and is developing continuously really fast. Would we reach a point when we cannot tell the difference between what is real and what is fiction?
*Some items may currently be out of stock, but they will available soon. If you encounter any similar problem, please comment on the article, or contact us through our Facebook page.