Yaoota’s Buying Guide: Water Filters
By Alaa Bassiouny & Nehal Mohib
About 70% of the Earth’s surface is water-covered, and that is why it is called the “Blue Planet.” But is all the water available around us suitable for drinking? Is it clean and pure? Can you let your children drink tap water?
Actually, water pollution in Egypt is one of the worst problems that we all suffer from. This water pollution is caused by industrial waste water, oil pollution, agricultural drainage, etc.
All that makes it essential for us to make sure that the water we drink and use daily is clean. Now, the question is: What is the device that can help us achieve that? The answer would be water filters!
Here at Yaoota, we interviewed Mr. Hesham Al-Jundi, the Head of Home Appliances Department at Ice Hardware Company. We asked him about water filters, how to buy them, which types are better, and the benefits we can get from them.
*Prices listed in the article are the ones provided when the article has been published, and they are subject to change according to the supply and demand of the market.
- Firstly, we asked Al-Jundi what water purifiers are?
Al-Jundi answered that a water purifier is an optimum solution to water pollution, as it consists of many filters. The filters inside a purifier are divided into two types: A filter for water purification, and another for water treatment.
- What are the benefits of water purifiers?
The most important benefit of a purifier is getting clean pure water with no impurities or bacteria, and keeping the important natural elements in water at the same time.
- What are the brands that we can trust?
Types of purifiers are very numerous. There is the 3-stage purifier that provides water treatment with 3 stages of protection. Other types are the 5-stage, 6-stage, and 7-stage purifiers. The more stages a purifier has, the cleaner and healthier water will be.
Check out Water Purifiers here, price starts at 270 EGP.
- On what basis should we choose a purifier?
Most importantly, you should buy the purifier from a trusted place, an authorized distributor, or from hypermarkets.
Also, selecting the most suitable purifier is mainly determined according to the degree of water pollution. Generally, a 3-stage purifier will be a perfect choice in Cairo. However, there are some areas for which the 3-stage purifier will not be suitable.
- What is the advice you can give us when buying and using a purifier?
– Carefully check the quality of the plastic from which the purifier is made.
– Avoid non-protected metals against rust, as it gets rusted and corroded after a period of time usage.
– Ensure the availability of spare parts, especially the sediment Pre- filter/filter cartridge that is responsible for purification.
– Make sure that the after-sales service is good, and the company is a quality-certified one.
The nutshell is, never buy an anonymous purifier.
Al-Jundi also added, “An important tip when installing the purifier is to let it work 15-30 minutes before you can use it for the first time.”
- What is a filter cartridge/sediment pre- filter, and what is its importance?
A filter cartridge is that part responsible for purification and removing impurities. Some types are:
- Polypropylene: to remove impurities and suspended particles in water.
- Carbon Cartridge: to remove excess chlorine in the water.
- Carbon block Cartridge: to remove organic Substances.
Some types of purifiers include additional stages of protection to remove any color or smell from the water.
- Tell us about your personal experience with purifiers?
I prefer buying a purifier of a well-known brand. That is to guarantee the after-sales service, the availability of spare parts, and easiness of installation.
Finally, I recommend that a user should contact the filter company to inquire about how to install and use it. That is in case the he/she decided to install the filter without a specialist.
*Some items may currently be out of stock, but they will be available soon. If you encounter any similar problem, please comment on the article, or contact us through our Facebook page.