Baby Stroller Types: Pros, Cons & User Experience
By: Yara Elhemaily
As soon as the baby is born, a new friend joins the family that never leaves until the child is five or six. This friend is the baby stroller, which is one of the most important tools for both the mother and the child. It’s not only for seating the baby in; it’s for rocking them to sleep, for instance, or place the shopping bags in.
And because baby strollers come in many types and shapes, it may be difficult to determine which is better and more suitable to your needs: is it for the club or for the beach? Are you going to travel with it? So many factors. Because Yaoota cares about you and about your child, we conducted a survey that includes 25 mothers. Through the survey results, we collected the points to put into consideration before buying a stroller. You will also find the pros and cons of the most popular types in Egypt. If you like any of them, feel free to order it online to have it delivered to you in no time.
*Prices listed in this article are the ones provided at the time of its publication, and are subject to change according to the supply and demand of the market.
The Types, Pros & Cons of Baby Strollers
|Travel System or Strollers with a Car Seat Frame||
|Baby’s Jogging Strollers||
|Double or Triple Baby Strollers||
Now, we will present to you the five types of baby strollers in detail in addition to the most popular brands of each type.
1. Standard Strollers
It comes in many shapes, designs and types. However, it is mostly distinguished by being coated in order to be more convenient. Most types have a canopy to protect the children from the sunlight during summer and help them sleep. They also have a place for storage, where the mother can store her purse, the baby’s bag or any family belongings. The best thing about this type is that the chair reclines up to 180 degrees, which gives the chance for the baby to sleep comfortably at any time. It comes in different types: in some types the baby is seated facing the mother, which is considered an advantage, because the baby will not be scared when positioned like this; other types have the two options.
Joie Mirus Stroller
- Lightweight, being made of aluminum.
- Designed to suit a newborn.
- Comes with a reversible handle so the baby can face backward or forward.
- Good quality.
- Free-standing when folded.
- The seat has 4 levels.
- The wheels can be locked.
- Its height is 101 cm.
- Has brakes attached to it.
- Comes with a rain cover.
- Its cover can be detached and cleaned.
- Shopping basket.
- It has a light weight compared to similar brands.
- The baby can face the mother.
- Its price is suitable.
- It can easily be controlled.
- It can easily be transported.
- It takes up a big storage space.
- The shopping basket is small.
- “It is very practical, looks good, its price is suitable and the most important of all is that it can be pushed very easily, because as we all know the classical type of baby strollers is usually very heavy and difficult to push and carry. The only thing that should change about it is its shopping basket; it is very small, so it won’t take a lot of stuff,” said Fayrouz Yasser.
- “I generally like this stroller, but I feel it is heavy and takes up a lot of space— it can take up the entire car’s trunk. What I really like about it, however, is that the seat is reversible, which means I can see my child all the time. Its price is very suitable for its capabilities,” said Bassant Elnafdy, a mother to an 18-month-old toddler.
Check out Joie Mirus Stroller here.
2. Baby Stroller with Car Seat Frame or Travel System
These strollers have a very light car seat frame where the car seat can be attached. The mother can easily remove the car seat from its base in the car, put it in the stroller and go. This is a great feature, because if the baby sleeps in the car, you can easily move them to the stroller without waking them up. Also, some mothers fear putting their babies in the stroller directly because they feel the baby is not well supported. The frame is very light and can be stored anywhere. The problem, however, is that as the baby is about 6 months-old, the seat no longer becomes suitable for them.
Graco Evo Travel System
- Weight: 12 kg.
- Dimensions: 86 x 60 x 102 cm.
- Reversible car seat.
- A big shopping bag.
- A big canopy.
- The baby is positioned facing the mother.
- It can be easily folded.
- It reclines at many levels so the baby can sleep inside it.
- The canopy has an appropriate size.
- It is very easy to attach and detach the car seat.
- It is easy to ride.
- It is noisy while moving.
- The wheels are made of plastic, which makes the baby feel all the movement and bumps.
- “This stroller has a good performance when used in streets with bumps; it can be easily opened and closed, and the seat belt can be fixed in arms or around the belly only. It has a nice color and looks very beautiful. In addition, it has a neon light if you’re going to use it at night. The size of the shopping basket is good and takes many things. The problem is, if you push it frequently, your arms may tire and controlling it might not be very easy. However, its brakes are strong. The best thing about it is that the baby is positioned facing me all the time, and it has a very good canopy. Unfortunately, it is not properly padded and could be rough for the baby. Another problem is that it is made of separate pieces. It also takes up a big space when stored in the car, and, of course, its price is higher than the other strollers. Another negative aspect is that it cannot fully recline; it remains upright, somehow. Moreover, I don’t feel that the seat will be suitable when my child grows older than 3,” said Heba Adel, mother for a 3 months-old baby.
- “I bought the Graco travel system and it was excellent. I used it with my second child, and when I sold it, it had an excellent condition. It is very easy to clean, but the cloth pad of the seat is not detachable. Generally, I feel that this stroller is great, as it has borne with me two children, but it was somewhat heavy,” said Yasmin Mohsen, a mother of two children of 5 and 2.
- “This stroller is suitable till the age of 4 or 5. It gives good back support for the baby, and the best thing about it is that I can always see the baby when using it. It has a suitable weight, neither heavy nor light. Its main problem is that it is stored in parts, so it occupies a lot of space in the car. However, its price is very suitable for its capabilities,” said Nada Mohamed, mother of an 18-month-old toddler.
- “It has a long lifespan, it looks good and is easy to open and close, but it has a big and heavy size,” said Ayat Saad, mother of a 2-year-old toddler.
- “It has a very big shopping basket and a baby basket, and I can always see my baby,” said Hanin Mohamed, mother of a 10-month-old.
Check out Graco Travel System here.
User Experiences for Other Travel System Strollers in the Egyptian Market
- Yasmin Nabih tried Donna Brand and thinks it is light. She really likes the fact that she can use it as a stroller or a car seat and that she does not have to wake her baby up and move her from the car seat to the stroller. Yasmin also said that she used to feel safe about her baby because she could always see her, as the seat of Dona faces the mother. She also pointed out to other pros, like the ease of control and the very elegant shape.
- Regarding Aya, 28 years-old, she had a Quinny stroller and she always recommends it to everyone, as it is very light and can be divided into two parts and so it doesn’t occupy much space in the car trunk. Moreover, its assembling and disassembling is easy. The only thing that used to bother her is that she couldn’t put her purse in the storage basket, which was very small.
3. Lightweight Strollers
They are sometimes referred to as umbrella strollers, because they look like umbrellas when closed. Their weight mostly does not exceed 6 kg, and most of the time they do not have many capabilities, but they are cheaper, more practical and more suitable for children older than two years-old. Some families use it as a supplementary car or during travelling because its size is small. Most of them are not suitable for newborns, as their seats do not recline 180 degrees.
See Baby Stroller
- A compact size.
- A full canopy.
- An ideal weight: 4-9 kg.
- A multi-level seat.
- Ventilation system.
- The front bar is removable.
- Big shopping basket.
- It has a light weight.
- It is easy to use.
- It does not occupy a big storage space.
- It looks attractive.
- It is easy to assemble and disassemble.
- The wheels sometimes freeze and stop moving.
- “When I bought this stroller, I’d been searching for a light, easy to fold and assemble stroller whose seat can incline completely. Once I saw this stroller with a mommy I asked her about it, as I never knew that its brand existed before. It does not recline up to 180 degree, but it can recline up to 120 degree, which is good, because it enables the baby to sleep. Unfortunately, it is not very stable. For example, if I hung my purse and forgot and carried my child away from the stroller, the whole stroller may fall down. It is lighter than needed, and if we are moving on an uneven surface, my child will feel every movement. Moreover, it is not very safe; if I left my girl unattended at any point and she just decided to stand up, the stroller as well as the baby could fall down,” said Yasmin Nabih, mother of an 18-month-old toddler.
- “I bought it because it has a small size and it reclines fully, so it was the perfect choice for me. The brand may not be very well known, but it is very good,” said Noha Tawfik, the mother of 7-year-old twins and a child of 3 years-old.
You can see See Baby Stroller here.
4. Jogging Baby Stroller
This type has three wheels and is light, so it can be pushed more easily than other types, and it is more suitable if you like to walk or jog frequently. Many of these types can hold one child and others can hold two children; either next to each others or behind each others. Their only problem is that their sizes are very big, so they are very hard to control when we are using the stairs.
- They can be unfolded using one hand only.
- It is suitable for newborns up to 15 kg.
- Car seat could be attached to it.
- You can recline the seat with one hand only to avoid waking the baby up.
- Multiple levels for the seat.
- It can be locked.
- It has a big canopy.
- It has dual front wheel.
- Dimensions while opened: 100 x 66.5 x 89 cm.
- Dimensions while closed: 82.5 x 24.5 x 66.5 cm.
- It has a suitable price.
- It can be closed with one hand.
- It has a very big canopy.
- It is light.
- It’s elegant and looks good.
- You will feel its length is a bit short while you are jogging, especially if you are somewhat tall.
- It is a bit wide; the baby may not be properly supported.
- You cannot access the basket if the seat is fully reclined.
- The car seat pads are very wide.
- “I bought it in 2015 and have been using it since then. What is convenient about it is that it is not very heavy. It is also practical and has 3 wheels, so it can turn to the right and left easily. The seat can be fully reclined. My baby always sleeps inside it,” said Haidy Osama, mother of a 3-year-old.
- “It is very good, because it has 3 wheels; you can always feel it is faster while moving, and it has a rain cover. It does not stop while moving and is light,” said Manal, 28 years-old.
Check out Joie Litetrax3 Stroller here.
User Experiences for Other Jogging Strollers in the Egyptian Market
Shahira Mostafa, 27 years old, a mother of an 11-month-old baby, bought the Stokke stroller, and she says, “As much as I liked its design and the idea that I can put the carrycot inside it, it was too big and heavy and the car seat did not live long.”
5. Double & Triple Baby Strollers
These strollers are ideal for mothers who have twins or more than one child with a little age gap, so instead of getting two strollers you can use one that has two or three places. The strollers where the babies sit behind each other is easier to move when you are alone and can pass easily through narrow doors. But the one where babies are seated next to each others is also more enjoyable, because both kids can see the streets clearly.
Chicco Twin Stroller
- 4-position reclining seats with adjustable leg support.
- A storage basket.
- Dual front wheels.
- It is suitable from 6 months to 18 kilograms.
- It moves very easily.
- It is very easy to assemble.
- The rain cover does not cover the two kids well.
- It is difficult to be used on the beach or in places that have holes and bumps.
- It is a bit heavy.
- It does not have a cup holder.
- “It can be very easily adjusted and it comes with many capabilities. The problem is that it is a bit heavy. However, its price is very suitable,”.- said Hebatallah Adel, a mother of 5-month-old babies.
Check out Chicco Twin Stroller Together here.
*Some products may be currently out of stock, but they will be available again soon. If you encounter any similar problem, please comment on the article, or contact us through our Facebook page.