Stay productive and boost business with wireless networking and impressive mobility.
Set up and share anywhere in the office with wireless connectivity. Configure networking fast.
Print from virtually anywhere with HP ePrint. Print wirelessly from your iPad®, iPhone®, and iPod touch® with AirPrint™.
Send files from a mobile device directly to your printer using HP wireless direct printing.
Save paper with automatic two-sided printing. Get fast print speeds up to 33 ppm A4 and a first page out in less than 8 seconds.
Experience web-connected ease of use.
Use business apps and the 8.89 cm (3.5-inch) colour touchscreen to access and print from the web, e.g. with Google Docs ©2012 Google.
Install your printer fast – there's no CD required with HP Smart Install.
Manage workflow with intuitive features right on the printer. A convenient USB port enables printing directly from a flash drive.
Easily control your print environment and save IT time and costs – HP Web Jetadmin helps you monitor equipment and increase uptime.
Enjoy professional-quality output for a great value.
Produce professional-quality business documents with bold, crisp text and sharp images.
Get peace of mind with trusted HP LaserJet reliability and consistent print quality from the first to the last page.
Save time with easy-to-install Original HP cartridges, and save money with optional high-capacity cartridges designed for frequent printing.
Do more with a 300-sheet paper capacity (800-sheets total with optional 500-sheet tray).
Reduce your environmental impact.
Save energy with HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology which turns your printer on when you need it and off when you don’t.
Reduce paper use by up to 50% with automatic two-sided printing.
Easily recycle Original HP LaserJet toner cartridges through HP Planet Partners.
Reduce packaging waste: Original HP toner cartridge HP 80A ships in the printer.
Supported Operating Systems
Compatible operating systems
- Full software installs supported on: Windows 8, Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows Vista (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows XP (32-bit) (SP2 or higher)Driver only installs supported on: Windows Server 2008 (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows Server 2003 (32-bit) (SP3 or higher)Mac OS X v10.5, v10.6, v10.7Linpus Linux (9.4, 9.5), Red Hat Enterprise Linux (5.0, 6.0), OpenSUSE Linux (11.3, 11.4), Fedora (14, 15), Ubuntu (10.04, 10.10, 11.04), Debian (5.0, 6.0 and HPUX11i)
Automatic paper sensor
Direct print supported
- Front-facing USB printing
Duty cycle (monthly, A4)
Recommended monthly page volume
Recommended monthly page volume note
- HP recommends that the number of printed pages per month be within the stated range for optimum device performance, based on factors including supplies replacement intervals and device life over an extended warranty period.
Duty cycle note
- Duty cycle is defined as the maximum number of pages per month of imaged output. This value provides a comparison of product robustness in relation to other HP LaserJet or HP Color LaserJet devices, and enables appropriate deployment of printers and MFPs to satisfy the demands of connected individuals or groups.
Paper trays, maximum
Paper trays, standard
- HP PCL 5e, HP PCL 6, HP Postscript Level 3 emulation, direct PDF (v 1.7) printing
- Windows®: HP Device Toolbox (default install), SNP Alerts (minimum network install), HP Web Jetadmin (download)Mac: HP Utility
- HP SureSupply alerts you when your print cartridge is running low and helps you purchase online or locally through HP or a participating retailer. For more information, visit http://www.hp.com/go/SureSupplyonly available with Original HP suppliesInternet access required.
Fonts and typefaces
- 84 scalable TrueType fonts
Printing Media Handling
Maximum input capacity (sheets)
- Up to 800 sheets (with optional 500-sheet tray)
Standard input capacity (envelopes)
Finished output handling
Media type and capacity, tray 1
Media type and capacity, tray 2
Media type and capacity, tray 3
- sheets: 500 (optional 500-sheet tray)
Maximum output capacity (sheets)
Standard output capacity (envelopes)
Standard output capacity (transparencies)
Paper handling input, optional
Paper handling input, standard
- 50-sheet multipurpose tray, 250-sheet input tray, automatic duplexer for two-sided printing
Paper handling output, standard
Supported Printing Media
Recommended media weight (duplex)
Media sizes, custom
- Multipurpose tray: 76 x 127 to 216 x 356 mmtray 2 and optional 500-sheet tray: 105 x 148 to 216 x 356 mm
Standard media sizes (duplex)
Media sizes supported
Media size, tray 1
- A4A5A6B5 (JIS)envelopes76 x 127 to 216 x 356 mm
Media size, tray 2
- A4A5A6B5 (JIS)105 x 148 to 216 x 356 mm
Media size, tray 3
- A4A5A6B5 (JIS)105 x 148 to 216 x 356 mm (optional 500-sheet tray)
- Paper (plain, Green mode, light, heavy, bond, colour, letterhead, preprinted, prepunched, recycled, rough)envelopeslabelstransparencies, cardstock
Media weight, supported
- Tray 1: 60 to 163 g/m² (straight through paper path for special media)tray 2, optional 500-sheet tray 3: 60 to 120 g/m²
Media weight (tray 1)
- 60 to 163 g/m² (straight through paper path for special media)
Media weight (tray 2)
Media weight (tray 3)
- 60 to 120 g/m² (optional 500-sheet tray)
Bottom margin (A4)
Left margin (A4)
Right margin (A4)
Top margin (A4)
Print quality black (best)
Print quality black (normal)
- HP FastRes 1200, HP ProRes 1200, 600 dpi
Print speed black (normal, A4)
Print speed footnote
- Measured using ISO/IEC 24734, excludes first set of test documents. For more information see http://www.hp.com/go/printerclaims. Exact speed varies depending on the system configuration, software application, driver, and document complexity.
First page out black (A4, ready)
First page out footnote
- Exact speed varies depending on the system configuration, software application, driver and document complexity.
Cartridges and Printheads
Page yield footnote
- Declared yield value in accordance with ISO/IEC 19752. Actual yields vary considerably based on images printed and other factors. For more information, visit http://www.hp.com/go/learnaboutsupplies
Number of print cartridges
- 1 slot, 120-pin DIMM (for Nor font flash module)
- 8.89 cm touchscreen control panel, CGD (Colour Graphic Display)
Connectivity and Communications
- 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.01 Host USB1 Ethernet 10/100/1000T network
Network protocols, supported
- Via built-in networking solution: TCP/IP, IPv4, IPv6print: TCP-IP port 9100 Direct Mode, LPD (raw queue support only), Web Services Printing, IPP 2.0, Apple AirPrint™, HP ePrint, FTP PrintDISCOVERY: SLP, Bonjour, Web Services DiscoveryIP CONFIG: IPv4 (BootP, DHCP, AutoIP, Manual, TFTP Config, ARP-Ping), IPv6 (Stateless Link-Local and via Router, Statefull via DHCPv6)Management: SNMPv2/v3, HTTP/HTTPs, Telnet, TFTP Config, FTP FW Download, SyslogSecurity: SNMPv3, SSL Cert Management, Firewall, ACL, 802.1x
Mobile printing capability
- HP ePrint, Apple AirPrint™, business apps
- 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.01 Host USB1 Ethernet 10/100/1000T network1 Walk-up USB
HP ePrint capability
- Standard (built-in Gigabit Ethernet)
- Via built-in 10/100/1000T Ethernet network port
Battery and Power
- Input voltage: 220 to 240 VAC (+/- 10%), 50/60 Hz (+/- 2 Hz)
Power supply type
- 570 watts (printing), 7.3 watts (ready), 6.2 watts (sleep), 0.1 watts (off). Typical Electricity Consumption (TEC): 2.08 kWh/Week
Power consumption footnote
- Power requirements are based on the country/region where the printer is sold. Do not convert operating voltages. This will damage the printer and void the product warranty.
Rack and Power Specifications
Typical electricity consumption (TEC) number
Minimum system requirements for Macintosh
- Mac OS X v10.5, v10.6, v10.7PowerPC G4, G5, or Intel® Core™ Processor500 MB hard diskCD-ROM/DVD-ROM or InternetUSB or Network
Minimum system requirements
- Windows 8, Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows Vista (32-bit/64-bit): 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor, 1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit), 400 MB free hard disk space, CD/DVD-ROM or Internet, USB or Network portWindows XP (32-bit) SP2: Pentium® 233 MHz processor, 512 MB RAM, 400 MB free hard disk space, CD/DVD-ROM or Internet, USB or Network port
- Password-protected network embedded Web serverenable/disable Network protocolsSNMPv2 community password changeSNMPv3802.1xSSL cert managementFirewallAccess Control List
Software and Applications
- Windows®: HP Installer/Uninstaller, HP PCL 6 print driver, Status Alerts, HP Update, DXPMac: HP Installer/Uninstaller, HP Postscript driver, HP Setup Assistant, HP Utility, HP Alerts, HP Firmware Updater
- Latest supported operating systems and print drivers available at http://www.hp.com/support/ljm401series
Energy savings feature technology
- HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology
Printer smart software features
- HP ePrint via email, Apple AirPrint™, HP Auto-On/Auto-Off, HP Smart Install, automatic two-sided printing, colour touchscreen with business apps
Minimum dimensions (W x D x H)
- 364.6 x 368 x 271 mm, touchscreen down (364.6 x 368 x 383.6 mm, touchscreen upraised at 90°)
- 8.89 cm touchscreen control panel, CGD (Colour Graphic Display)buttons (Home, Help, Cancel, Left arrow, Right arrow, Back arrow), LED indicator lights (Attention, Ready), Walk-up USB
- One-year warranty. Warranty and support options vary by product, country and local legal requirements.
- HP LaserJet Pro 400 M401dn printerbuilt-in automatic two-sided printingEthernet 10/100/1000 Base-TX networkHP 80A Black LaserJet Toner Cartridge (~2700 pages)Installation guide, Getting Started guide, Support flyer, Warranty guidePrinter documentation and software on CD-ROMpower cord