With supercharged EOS performance and stunning full frame, high-resolution image capture, the EOS 5D Mark III is designed to perform.
22.3 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor
The EOS 5D Mark III features a newly developed Canon full-frame 22.3 Megapixel CMOS sensor that's designed from the ground up to create high resolution, perfectly detailed images with unprecedented speed and clarity. A full 24 x 36mm, the sensor captures 5784 x 3861 large individual 6.25 µm pixels and has a much-improved S/N ratio resulting in better images from the start. A new photodiode structure with an increased photoelectric conversion rate increases the sensor's sensitivity by approximately 2 stops over previous models, meaning higher ISOs with the lowest noise of any EOS digital camera. And a 2-line 8-channel simultaneous signal readout means speeds of up to 6.0 fps (RAW + JPEG) are possible!
DIGIC 5+ Image Processor for enhanced noise reduction and blazing processing speed
For a whole new level of performance, the EOS 5D Mark III uses a DIGIC 5+ Image Processor. Working with two 4-channel A/D converter front-end processing circuits, and delivering speeds of up to 6.0 fps (RAW + JPEG), and the DIGIC 5+ Image Processor improves data processing performance and features new algorithms that promote greater noise reduction at higher ISOs. In addition to conventional image processing functions the DIGIC 5+ Image Processor offers real-time compensation for chromatic aberration in both still and motion images. With the power of this processor, speed improvements are noticeable from the instant the camera is turned on and the stunning results speak for themselves.
EOS HD Video with manual exposure control, multiple frame rates and selectable All i-frame or IPB compression
Addressing the requests of the pros and building on the unprecedented success of its namesake, the EOS 5D Mark III captures HD video with a level of sophistication on par with professional movie cameras offering phenomenal performance on a DSLR. It offers both All-I and IPB compression, supports H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile, and automatically splits files greater than 4GB (FAT specifications) for extended recording without interruption. It offers the option of timecoding during recording only (Rec Run) or at all times (Free Run), useful for multi-camera shoots. It also features improved sound recording adjustment capabilities, offering 64-step volume control accessible through the Quick Control screen during video shooting, plus a dedicated headphone jack for convenience in shooting. The CMOS sensor's new drive system significantly increases image processor performance, reducing color artifacts and moiré (a common problem that occurs in scenes with horizontal lines), and ensures that the EOS 5D Mark III can record at a number of frame rates up to ISO 25600 in H mode.
3.2" TFT LCD Monitor
The EOS 5D Mark III's 3.2" TFT LCD monitor has 1,040,000 dots, anti-reflective construction and features Canon's Clear View II technology for bright, sharp display in any number of shooting situations. It's ideal for reviewing settings and images, as well as for shooting in Live View mode. In Live View, grid lines can be displayed in 9 sections, 24 sections, or 9 sections with diagonals, as can the dual-axis electronic level, which helps ensure accurate level by displaying both roll and pitch. For image review, the EOS 5D Mark III has a new, dedicated Magnify/Reduce button. While pressing the button, zooming in or out (up to 10x) is achieved simply by turning the Main Dial. Images can be protected or erased quickly, individually or in batches, and slideshows can be created with some or all images and can be sequenced by date, folders, movies, stills or rating. A feature guide can be accessed for the selected menu, providing detailed reference information whenever needed.
New High Dynamic Range (HDR).
With its new High Dynamic Range (HDR) mode, the EOS 5D Mark III can merge 3 images of varying exposure, in camera, capturing a broad range of shadow and highlight detail and delivering an image with stunning tonal range. Adjustable to cover a range of ±3 stops, and with 5 different effect settings, HDR recording truly expands the parameters of the light and dark detail a camera can actually record, surprising viewers with the range of tones a photograph can accurately recreate.
Magnesium alloy body with shutter durability and dust- and weather-resistance
For professionals who demand nothing less than the best, the EOS 5D Mark III is designed to perform superbly, even in the most treacherous environments, every time. The body is constructed of rigid, high-strength magnesium alloy for rugged performance and features a new grip design for easier finger placement and reduced hand fatigue. Its newly redesigned shutter has lightweight and carbon-fiber blades, and is rated to maintain up to 6.0 fps performance without compromise, for up to 150,000 cycles. The EOS 5D Mark III and accessories like the new Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E7A and GPS Receiver GP-E2 have extensive gasketing for improved dust and water resistance, even at their connection points.
Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
The Self Cleaning Sensor Unit featured in the EOS 5D Mark II has been optimized for the new EOS 5D Mark III to deliver even greater dust removal for clearer images. To prevent dust accumulation, the system removes particles adhered to the surface of the infrared absorbing/ultraviolet-blocking glass in a frontward direction by vibrating the glass with ultrasound. The particles are then absorbed by an adsorbent at the bottom of the unit; the unit itself is completely sealed for protection against external contaminants, and its front face of the low-pass filter 1 is treated with an anti-dust fluorine coating making it easier to remove damp or sticky dust particles.
- Type: High-sensitivity, high-resolution, large single-plate CMOS sensor
- Pixels: Effective pixels: Approx. 22.3 megapixels
- Pixel Unit: 6.25 µm square
- Total Pixels: Total pixels: 23.4 megapixels
- Aspect Ratio: 3:2 (Horizontal: Vertical)
- Color Filter System: RGB primary color filters
- Low Pass Filter: Fixed position in front of the image sensor
- Dust Deletion Feature: (1) Self Cleaning Sensor Unit, Automatic Sensor Cleaning, Removes dust adhering to the infrared- and ultraviolet-blocking glass. (3) Manual cleaning
- Recording Format: Design Rule for Camera File System 2.0 and EXIF 2.3
- Image Format: Still Image: JPEG, RAW (14-bit Canon Original), M-RAW, S-RAW, RAW+JPEG, M-RAW+JPEG, S-RAW+JPEG, Video: MOV (Image data: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC; Audio: Linear PCM)
- File Size: (1) Large: Approx. 22.10 Megapixels (5760 x 3840), (2) Medium: Approx. 9.80 Megapixels (3840 x 2560), (3) S1 (Small 1): Approx. 5.50 Megapixels (2880 x 1920), (4) S2 (Small 2): Approx. 2.50 Megapixels (1920 x 1280), (5) S3 (Small 3): Approx. 350,000 Pixels (720 x 480), (6) RAW: Approx. 22.10 Megapixels (5760 x 3840), (7) M-RAW: Approx. 10.50 Megapixels (3960 x 2640), (8) S-RAW: Approx. 5.50 Megapixels (2880 x 1920)Exact file sizes depend on the subject, ISO speed, Picture Style, etc.
- Recording Functions: 1. Standard, 2. Auto switch card, 3. Record separately, 4. Record to multiple
- Backup Recording: Images recorded in a card can be copied to the other card
- File Numbering: The following three types of file numbers can be set: (1) Continuous numbering, (2) Auto reset, (3) Manual reset
- RAW + JPEG Simultaneous Recording: The image-recording quality can be selected in any combination of the three RAW and eight JPEG recording quality settings.
- Color Space: Selectable between sRGB and Adobe RGB
- Picture Style: Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1-3
- Settings: (1) Auto (AWB), (2) Daylight, (3) Shade, (4) Cloudy, (5) Tungsten light, (6) White fluorescent light, (7) Flash, (8) Custom (Custom WB), (9) Color temperature
- Auto White Balance: Auto white balance with the image sensor
- Color Temperature Compensation: Blue/amber bias: ±9 levels, Magenta/green bias: ±9 levels,
- Color Temperature Information Transmission: Provided
- Type: Eye-level pentaprism
- Coverage: Approx. 100% vertically and horizontally (At approx. 21mm eyepoint)
- Magnification: Approx. 0.71x / Angle of view 34.1° (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1 m-1 (dpt))
- Eye Point: Approx. 21mm (At -1m-1 from the eyepiece lens center)
- Dioptric Adjustment Correction: -3.0 to +1.0m-1 (diopter)
- Focusing Screen: Fixed
- Mirror: Quick-return half mirror (transmission: reflectance ratio of 40:60)
- Viewfinder Information: AF information, AF point, focus confirmation, AF status indicator, Exposure information, Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed (always displayed), AE lock, exposure level, exposure warning, Flash information, Flash ready, flash exposure compensation, high-speed sync, FE lock, red-eye reduction light, Image information, Highlight tone priority (D+), maximum burst (2-digit display), card information, Battery check, Composition information, Grid, electronic level, Warning symbol, Displayed if any of the following is set: Monochrome, white balance correction, One-touch recording quality switch, expanded ISO speed, or spot metering.
- Depth Of Field Preview: Enabled with Depth-of-field preview button
- Type: TTL secondary image - registration, phase detection
- AF Points: 61-point (up to 41 cross-type points)
- AF Working Range: EV -2 - 18 (at 73°F/23°C and ISO 100)
- AF Point Selection: 1. Single-point AF (Manual selection), 2. Auto selection 61-Point AF, 3. Single-point Spot AF (Manual selection), 4. AF point expansion (Manual selection, 4 points: Up, down, left, and right), 5. AF point expansion (Manual selection, surrounding 8 points), 6. Zone AF (Manual zone selection)
- Selected AF Point Display: Displayed in viewfinder with transparent LCD and on LCD panel
- Active AF Point Indicator: AF area used in horizontal/vertical (grip up or down) shooting and the manually-selected AF point position can be set separately
- AF Assist Beam: (1) Enable, With an EOS-dedicated Speedlite, AF-assist beam is emitted automatically when necessary. (2) Disable, (3) IR AF assist beam only.
- Metering Modes: Max. aperture TTL metering with 63-zone SPC with the following selectable modes:, (1) Evaluative metering (linked to all AF points), (2) Partial metering (center, approx. 7.2% of viewfinder), (3) Spot metering (center, approx. 1.5% of viewfinder), AF point-linked spot metering not provided., (4) Center-weighted average metering, a. The selectable metering modes can be limited with a Custom Function.
- Metering Range: EV 1-20 (at 73°F / 23°C with 50mm f/1.4 lens at ISO 100)
- Exposure Control Systems: (1) Scene Intelligent Auto, (2) Program AE (shiftable), (3) Shutter-priority AE (Safety shift possible), (4) Aperture-priority AE (Safety shift possible), (5) Manual exposure, (6) Bulb, (7) E-TTL II autoflash program AE.
- ISO Speed Range: For Stills: ISO 100-25600 (in 1/3-stop or whole-stop increments), ISO speed expansion possible to ISO 50, 51200, and 102400. ISO speed safety shift possible with Custom Function. ISO Speed upper and lower limits: (1) Manual setting range. (2) Auto ISO range. Shutter speed and automatic ISO speed control in P and Av Modes: In the P and Av shooting modes with Auto ISO set, the ISO speed is set automatically so that a shutter speed slower than the one set with [Minimum shutter speed] (1/250, 1/125, 1/60, 1/30, 1/15, 1/8, 1/4, 05, 1) is not set.
- Exposure Compensation: Manual: ±5 stops in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments, AEB: ±3 stops in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments.
- AE Lock: (1) Auto AE lock, In the One-Shot AF mode with evaluative metering, AE lock takes effect when focus is achieved., (2) Manual AE lock, With AE lock button. (AE lock is updated each time you press the button.) Enabled in all metering modes.
- Type: Vertical-travel, mechanical, focal-plane shutter with all speeds electronically-controlled
- Shutter Speeds: 1/8000 to 30 sec. bulb (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode.), X-sync at 1/200 sec.
- Shutter Release: Soft-touch electromagnetic release
- Self Timer: 10-sec. or 2-sec. delay
- Shutter Lag Time: 1) During SW-1 ON, time lag between SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.059 sec. 2) Time lag between simultaneous SW-1/SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.2 sec.
- EOS Dedicated Speedlite: E-TTL II autoflash with all EX Series Speedlites
- Zooming to Match Focal Length: Provided
- Flash Exposure Compensation: ±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
- FE Lock: Provided
- External Flash Settings: The camera can set the following with Speedlite 600EX-RT, 580EX II, 430EX II, 320EX, 270EX II, or 270EX:, (1) External flash control, * Flash mode, sync setting, FEB (not possible with 270EX II/270EX), flash exposure compensation, E-TTL II, zoom, wireless master flash (not possible with 430EX II/ 270EX), and clear settings., * With the Speedlite 600EX-RT, radio wireless control is possible., (2) Flash Custom Function setting
- PC Terminal: Provided (no polarity)
- Drive Modes: Single, High-speed continuous, Low-speed continuous, Silent Single Shooting and Self-timer (10 sec. self-timer/remote control, or 2-sec. self-timer/remote control)
- Continuous Shooting Speed: High-speed: Maximum approx. 6 shots/sec. Low-speed: Maximum approx. 3 shots/sec. Silent continuous shooting: Maximum approx. 3 shots/sec.
- Maximum Burst: JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 65 shots (approx. 16270 shots), RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 7 shots (approx. 7 shots)
Live View Functions
- Shooting Modes: Still photo and video recording
- Focusing: (1) Autofocus (One-Shot AF), Live mode, One-point, contrast AF. Switching to another AF point possible. (2) Manual focus
- Metering Modes: Real-time Evaluative metering with the image sensor
- Metering Range: Real-time evaluative metering with image sensor: Metering range: EV 0 - EV 20 (At 73°F/23°C, 50mm f/1.4 lens, ISO 100), AE lock possible, The active metering time can be changed.
- Grid Display: Three grid display provided
- Exposure Simulation: Provided
- Silent Shooting: Provided (Mode 1 and 2)
- File Format: MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, Variable (averaged) bit rate
- File Size: Recording Sizes:, 1920 x 1080 (Full HD), 1280 x 720 and 640 x 480
- Frame Rates: [1920 x 1080]: 30 fps / 25 fps / 24 fps, [1280 x 720]: 60 fps / 50 fps, [640 x 480]: 30 fps / 25 fps
- Continuous Shooting Time: Based on 8GB Card:, [1920 x 1080], 30 fps ALL-I: 11 min. (685 MB/min.) / IPB: 32 min (235 MB/min.), 25 fps ALL-I: 11 min (685 MB/min.) / IPB: 32 min. (235 MB/min.), 24 fps ALL-I: 11 min. (685 MB/min.) / IPB: 32 min. (235 MB/min.), [1280 x 720], 60 fps ALL-I: 12 min. (610 MB/min.) / IPB: 37 min. (205 MB/min.), 50 fps ALL-I: 12 min. (610 MB/min.) / IPB: 37 min. (205 MB/min.), [640 x 480], 30 fps IPB: 97 min. (78 MB/min.), 25 fps IPB: 97 min. (78 MB/min.), If the recording time reaches 29 min. 59 sec. the movie shooting stops automatically.
- Focusing: Same as focusing with Live View shooting
- Exposure Control: (1) Program AE for movie shooting. (2) Manual exposure
- Exposure Compensation: Up to ±3 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- Type: TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor
- Monitor Size: 3.2-inches
- Pixels: Approx. 1.04 million dots
- Coverage: Approx. 100%, Approx. 170° vertically and horizontally
- Brightness Control: Auto: Brightness adjusted automatically by the light sensor
- Coating: Clear View LCD II, Glass surface has an anti-reflective AR coating.
- Interface Languages: 25 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese)
- On LCD Monitor: Electronic level indicates up to 360° roll and ±10° pitch in 1° increments.
- In Viewfinder: The AF point display is used to indicate up to ±6° horizontal tilt and ±4° vertical tilt in 1° increments (During vertical shooting, up to ±1° horizontal tilt and ±6° vertical tilt).
- Display Format: Single image, Single image + Image-recording quality/shooting information, histogram, 4- or 9-image index, magnified view (approx. 1.5x-10x), rotated image (auto/manual), image jump (by 10/100 images, index screen, by shooting date, by folder), two-image comparative display, slide show (all images/selected by date/folder), star rating
- Highlight Alert: With single-image display (Info.) and single-image display, overexposed highlight areas will blink
Quick Control Function
- Items: The following functions can be set:, Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed, exposure compensation, AEB, flash exposure compensation, AF point selection (including AF area selection modes), Picture Style, White Balance, WB Correction, metering mode, Auto Lighting Optimizer, recording function switching, image-recording quality, AF mode, drive mode, and Custom Controls (camera controls/buttons customization).
Image Protection and Erase
- Protection: Erase protection can be applied or canceled for a single image, all images in a folder or all images in the card
- Erase: Erase a single image, selected images, all images in a folder, all images in a card or erase only unprotected images
- Compatible Printers: PictBridge-compatible printers
- Printable Images: RAW and JPEG images complying to Design rule for Camera File System, Movies cannot be printed
DPOF: Digital Print Order Format
- DPOF: Version 1.1 compatible
Direct Image Transfer
- Compatible Images: JPEG and RAW images and movie, For RAW+JPEG, only the RAW or JPEG image or both images can be transferred
- Custom Functions: 13 Custom Functions settable with the camera
- Custom Controls: The following camera controls can be customized by assigning the desired function: Shutter button halfway pressing, AF-ON button, AE lock button, Depth-of-field preview button, lens AF Stop button, Multifunction button, SET button, Main Dial, Quick Control Dial, and Multicontroller
- Camera User Settings: Current camera settings can be registered to C1, C2 and C3 on the Mode Dial (Automatic registration update is possible)
- My Menu Registration: Up to six top-tier menu options and Custom Function settings can be registered
- USB Terminal: For personal computer communication and direct printing (USB 2.0 Hi-Speed)
- Video Out Terminal: (1) Video OUT terminal: NTSC/PAL selectable, (2) mini-HDMI OUT terminal
- Extension System Terminal: For connection to WFT-E7A (WFT) and GP-E2 (GPS)
- Gigabit-Ethernet: The RJ-45 jack is not built-in and is only available via the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E7A
- Battery: One Battery Pack LP-E6, AC power can be supplied with the AC Adapter Kit ACK-E6
- Battery Check: Automatic battery check when the power switch is turned on: Displayed in 6 levels: Battery level displayed on LCD panel and in viewfinder. Battery information can be checked with the [Battery info.] menu, If Battery Grip BG-E11 is used with size AA/LR6 batteries, the battery level is displayed in four levels instead.
- Power Saving: Power turns off after the set time (1, 2, 4, 8, 15 or 30 minutes) of non-operation elapses.
- Date/Time Battery: CR1616 lithium battery
- Start-up Time: Approx. 0.1 sec
Dimensions and Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D): Approx. 152.0 x 116.4 x 76.4 mm
- Weight: Approx. 950g, Approx. 860g (Body only)
- Working Temperature Range: 32-104°F/0-40°C
- Working Humidity Range: 85% or less